Sunday, July 28, 2019

TAG Sessions response to the joint statement of Gallant Knight Games & WunderWerks regarding the OUATIJ investigation

TAG Sessions response to the joint statement of Gallant Knight Games & WunderWerks regarding the OUATIJ investigation [LINK]


This statement is made solely on behalf of Tobie Abad, and does not speak for anyone who works alongside him, with TAG Sessions, or our partners in the game industry.

----

First, I would like to thank Gallant Knight Games and WunderWerks for all the work we have done together and appreciate their patience with the difficult position this whole situation put them in. I am also thankful for the level of professionalism demonstrated by how this was handled with the evaluation of the situation being conducted by a third party to remove any possible bias in the final findings. This has been a long, taxing and unfortunate affair for all concerned and I am grateful that we at least have reached the end of this phase of the tribulation. I hold no ill will towards both Gallant Knight Games and WunderWerks and the decision made. While I do wish it did not lead to this termination of our professional working relationship, I completely respect and thank Gallant Knight Games for the manner in which the entire 2-month investigation was objectively handled.

I reiterate that I apologize that I was not able to do more to address the unpleasant experience that certain people had in the past and I once more express how I truly wish things were handled better regarding the cited game experiences. I am thankful that the investigation was able to see how the events cited did not “qualify as harassment or abuse under any legal standard”. As echoed by the investigation results, I attest that there was no malice or intent on my part regarding how those sessions ultimately turned out and I hope the investigation's results help put things into a better perspective to allow us all to focus on moving forward.  I also apologize for any pain that may have been experienced not only in those said sessions, but to everyone else drawn into this whole debacle; such negative experiences will always be the furthest thing I would ever want anyone to ever experience in a tabletop RPG or in life in general.

Part of learning from the mistakes of the past is finding ways to avoid repeating them, and thus I shall continue to strive for better communication not just before or during the game but even after the game sessions to make sure all have a chance to unpack their feelings on how the session/s turned out. I will also continue to use safety tools such as the X-card, Lines and Veils, and others during sessions to ensure there are always avenues for communicating and discussing personal comfort levels at the game table.

I am also aghast at the mention that there were death threats directed at Gallant Knight Games and the third-party investigators and sincerely hope such practices would come to an end. I believe in the hobby and I believe in the community. I know we gamers are a creative and passionate people. And I hope those who made such threats realize the damage and shame they bring to our community as a whole.

Role-playing games is and shall always be my passion. And thus I shall continue to create games, tools, and opportunities (whether it be through talks, panels, guestings, or even free  open table game sessions) to help others explore tabletop RPGs and enjoy the diverse number of ways gaming can be celebrated.  It is only in being willing to reevaluate one's actions and acknowledge one's failings can one take the necessary steps to bettering oneself. I am hoping this is seen as an opportunity for everyone as well to reflect on how they can serve the community better. I definitely will.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...