Monday, April 18, 2016

TAGRPG : the Twitter-based game

Would you like to try playing a game every six hours, making choices for the events surrounding a man from a dead civilization, an elf from a dying echo, and an ambitious priestess, a betrayed Emperor and a yet unrevealed nearly omnipotent presence.

Currently ongoing on Twitter is #tagrpg, my experimental dive into running a role-playing game on twitter by simply allowing people to vote on the actions or the flow of the story.  Admittedly, this is less a clear cut role-playing game experience (that becomes wholly dependent on the players) and more an exploration of a digital choose-your-own-adventure type of game.

The idea hit my head some time back, when I was considering taking a dive into using Twitter.  Similar games have been run before using web-based forums, emails, and even messageboards.  Given Twitter's 140-character limit, the challenge to tell a story and give people the chance to affect it with their choices felt like an interesting one to tackle.

As I was wondering how to best approach it, I chanced upon Epidiah Ravachol's twitter feed.  Amazingly, he found the best way to approach it: by using the poll feature to give people choices.  I realized while I don't really have that strong a following yet, it was an opportunity to try something new and just maybe give anyone whose interested in joining the fun have the freedom to do so.  So I messaged and shared that I was going to approach the game the same way!  And so we're off!

Currently, as of this post, the game has reached 69 posts so far.  With an average of two posts in a single day, I'm hoping to end up with this reaching the hundreds and players growing in number.  But ultimately, it at least is a fun break from typical games.

Feel free to check it out.
#tagrpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...