Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Continuing my 12 New Games commitment this 2017

I've been keeping to my 12 new games promise for the last few years.  For those who aren't aware of the story behind it, here it is again: For many years I stuck to playing a certain game line and nothing but that.  When I tried diving into the work of independent publishers and other game lines, I discovered how each one had something to offer: be it a new system, an interesting twist to the experience, or a cool way to approach something.  I realized it was only due to my narrow range of exposure that I didn't know of these things and as a game designer, there were so many other things to learn and discover if I only chose to allow myself to try them.

And so, I promised myself that each year, I have to try playing or running 12 new games.

For this year, I was lagging behind. Ever since the incident, I nearly quit gaming and gave up on socializing with others. Thanks to my partner's persistence in reminding me to focus on the positive side of things, to friends who rallied around me (albeit silently and in private), and to people I've known online and proud to call friends as well, I've been able to slowly get back into the groove of running games, trying games, and trusting in my inner voice.   The trip to Los Angeles as a Forty Year Old Fanboy has been amazing, with all these opportunities to try new games.  At Gamex, jim pinto did an incredible job of making me feel at home and reminding me that we're all deserving of respect, fun, and our own space.  Ben and Dan made sure I never felt alone and helped me remember that worst case scenario happens, if Rocky and choose to move, they're friends we can relocate near to.  And Tomer, awesome guy from the convention who runs Games on Demand, made time to show me around Pasedena and Glendale and gave me two opportunities to run my game in both places and even try something new.

So yeah, we're at the final stretch.  And we're down to needing just two more games to complete 2017, despite it only being June, which is amazing!  And with our upcoming Tag Bites monthly event, the opportunities to explore a lot of other systems will definitely be within reach.



2017 New Games
1) Pugmire
2) Monster of the Week
3) An RPG Musical, using Scion
4) Black Stars Rise
5) jim pinto's soon to be announced game
6) Carcass: Exodus
7) Praxis: Black Monk
8) Forget Me Not: Florida
9) "Microscope": Star Wars
10) The Quiet Year

2016 New Games
1) Pocket Odyssey
2) Marvel Heroic Role-playing Games
3) Fiasco: Bookhounds
4) Wield
5) #TagRPG
6) Mutant City Blues
7) 7th Sea, second edition
8) Curse of the Yellow Sign #3
9) Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine
10) Inspectres
11) A Single Moment
12) V20


2015 New Games

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...