Sunday, August 21, 2016

#RPGaDay - Day20



Shared Narrative Control.
This for me was the beginning of seeing the role of both the Game Master and the Player is one single role. Both as just as responsible for the fun of the game, the sense of safety and happiness each person feels in the session, the sensibility of the story and the joy of the overall experience. It isn't about a GM having to cater to every need, demand or desire a player may have without any say in the matter, nor is it about players not having any say on whether or not they want the game to explore a certain narrative angle and the like.
Ever since I first encountered the idea of GMless games and the like, I realized a large part of the idea of GMless games was giving everyone a chance to contribute to the narrative, and a shared responsibility in keeping the game fun.  Many who have an incomplete understanding of it tend to focus too much on a GM-Player relationship where one owes the other something, or insists that one must respond to the wishes of the other regardless of their personal comforts.

I'm thankful how I've learned to better grasp the true joys of Shared Narrative Control, and how it's practice leads to groups learning to be far more trusting and honest with each other. I don't think I'll ever want to play the way I used to ever again.

#RPGaDay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...